I dropped in to a comedy club in Toronto last night. I was
appalled! Not at the quality of entertainment, but at he amount of money they
wanted to charge so I could see it.
$5.00! Are you kidding me? I spend more
than that at Tim Horton's every morning in preparation for my morning commute.
I can guarantee that I got way more enjoyment from those 13 comics than I will
from the 35,000 morons on the road this morning, each trying their hardest to
make me late for my flight.
Where are our priorities? Each and every
one of us has a biological need to laugh. Ask
someone what qualities a perfect mate should have. Almost all will include, "...makes me laugh". Only a few, very special people have the desire to give us that laughter.
someone what qualities a perfect mate should have. Almost all will include, "...makes me laugh". Only a few, very special people have the desire to give us that laughter.
Laughter reduces stress. It shortens the
passage of time. (Just listen to a joke at the coffee machine in the morning
and see how long it takes for the boss to step into the hallway with 'that'
look.) It has been shown to have rejuvenating effects among the aged. Simply, we
need it in our lives.
Not every comic that hits the local club
scene is the next Chris Farley or Jim Carrey. It is unlikely we will see talent
like that of Robin Williams again soon. But how do we know where the next great
funny person is going to come from? So many that have the passion, just do not
have the means to survive. I myself aspired to be an actor at one time. The
need to put groceries in the fridge trumped that dream.
I get that everyone starts at the bottom
and works their way up. I get that you cannot get rich in the mailroom. The
next Steve Jobs is likely working in that mailroom, maybe in your building, and
I'll bet he's making way more per week than most comics on the circuit today.
These are working people with real dreams
and real bills. Even headliners are barely making a living wage. You love what
they do for you but can't be bothered to pay them for their efforts. A bad
movie is twice the price and studios make millions. Maybe we could step up and
pay enough at the door to provide a living wage for the ones that care enough
to want to make us laugh.
You pay $6.99/month for Netflix. Can you
honestly say you get more than an hour and a half of solid entertainment every
month? Ok, maybe two if you're ripping off US Netflix. Do you really feel good
at the end of a viewing session? Last night, I left the club, ignored the line
of cabs and walked 40 minutes back to my hotel.
It rained.
I didn't care.
I felt good about life and enjoyed my
walk.
No comments:
Post a Comment